Rich of Calif

One fan of vintage California pottery, and his endless travels down the Poppytrail.

10.25.2006

Cincinnati Art Galleries Can Do Better

There's all kinds of sellers on eBay. Some are quite knowledgeable folks who share what they know about a piece so the buyer can make an informed decision. These are they best kind of sellers. There are also a lot of sellers who don't know their product, but do present an honest auction, albeit a little light on info. Often times you can score a bargain from these people. If you know your stuff.
When I'm looking at a listing on eBay and evaluating an item for purchase I take the knowledge level of the seller into large account. If its obvious that the seller is a weekend picker selling a wide variety of items then I don't expect the same level of detail in the listing that I do from an established seller. By the same token, when I see a listing by an established seller of high repute, a listing of low detail but high price, I have to wonder what the deal is. What am I not being told?
Case in point, this Bauer Plate with Mexican Scene being offered by Cincinnati Art Galleries. Opening price $300 with an estimated sale price of $600 to $800. Excuse me? Are you insane? Or...maybe...am I insane?
I see a fifty dollar plate with a reasonably nice scene painted on it (better than I can do). The listing indicates that the plate is signed on the back by the designer, Lola Lawrence. Is that why this plate is so valuable? I've never heard of Lola Lawrence, but the Cincinnati Art Galleries are a lot more educated about pottery designers than I am. Maybe they could add a little bio info on the high-priced designer. And maybe show a scan of the signature and mark. How about a little effort here.
I'm half tempted to think that the Cincinnati Art Galleries is floating this piece on eBay with an artificially high price hoping that their good name alone will sell this plate to some unspecting bumpkin. People do this you know. But I just can't believe that. Because that would be so incredibly stupid.
I've got an inquiry in to the folks at CAG requesting more info on Lola Lawrence. I'm certain that they will respond with information that validates their high appraisal. And when they do I will certainly follow-up this article with that info.

1 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Rich said...

After swapping a couple emails with the Cincinnati Art Galleries they've added this to the Bauer plate auction: "Correction: A noted Bauer expert has told us that the decoration may not be vintage and may have been added in recent years by someone not even associated with Bauer." I think that's excellent. That should keep any rubes from blowing the rent money on this item. And I mean that in the nicest way. Many of my best friends are rubes. I personally ride the turnip truck regularly.
Mr. Riley Humler at the Cincinnati Art Galleries has an art pottery pedigree as long as my arm. If you have a downtown art pottery gallery in Cincinnati, Ohio you are officially bigtime. He certainly doesn't need a Bauer plate of questionable heritage sitting among his beautiful Roseville and Rookwood pieces. He has been nothing but receptive to my emails.
I want to thank Jack Chipman for his help in identifying this piece. He is the "noted Bauer expert" mentioned above, not me. I'm just Rich of Calif, some blogger dude.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home