Rich of Calif

One fan of vintage California pottery, and his endless travels down the Poppytrail.

7.03.2007

Batchelder Fireplace Mantle

Here's an interesting eBay auction that bears watching. Someone in Redlands has an entire old Batchelder Tile fireplace surround for sale. Interesting in that the thing is unsalvaged and it tips the scale at 400 pounds. Because it hasn't been cleaned up and because its local pickup only the price might stay down. Certainly higher than the $5 opening bid, but I can't see runaway bidding on this.
I hate driving south of Sacramento (OK, honest truth, I avoid driving south of Red Bluff) so I'm not going to bounce down to Redlands in the truck to score these tiles, but I sure would jump on this if I were closer and if the price stays down. My quick figuring tells me that the tiles removed from the concrete could easily fetch $2,000 to $2,500 if parted out on eBay.
And that doesn't include the wonderful 28.5" by 3.75" tile in the center...the design being birds on grapevines. I wouldn't sell that. For two reasons: 1) Its just too cool, and 2) I'd probably break it trying to get it loose from the concrete.

UPDATE: LOL...Auction closed at $4500.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home